Who is Scotty Boman?
I was born on the East side, and I have been a Detroit resident for most of my life. Most of the years I have spent in Detroit have been in the region that is now the 4th District. I have been a continuous life-long resident of Michigan.
Professionally, I have been an educator for over 20 years. Currently, I work as a physics and math professor at Wayne County Community College, and as an astronomy and physics instructor at Macomb Community College. I also substitute teach in a few local school districts, including schools in Detroit.
I received my B.S. from Western Michigan University in 1985, with a double major in Physics and Philosophy and a minor in Mathematics. I earned an M.A. in Physics from Western two years later, and an additional graduate degree from Wayne State University in 1999.
This is my second run for this office. Since 2017 I have dedicated my time to educating members of our community on the roll of the Board of Police Commissioners, and the have educated me on so much more. I have also been a candidate for a variety of other positions, including my 2013 campaign for City Clerk and my 1996 effort to be elected to the Detroit City Council in which I received an endorsement from the Detroit News. Last year the people of District 4 elected me to the District 4 Community Advisory Council. I may been a frequent candidate, but I didn’t wait to win an election to get involved:
- Chairperson of the District 4 Community Advisory Council.
- Founder of Detroit Residents Advancing Civilian Oversight (DRACO).
- Chair of the Civilian Oversight Citizens Focus Group (Advising the Detroit Charter Commission on revisions pertaining to civilian oversight of the Detroit Police Department.
- Member of the Fifth Precinct Police Community Relations Council.
- Current member and former Vice President of the MEC neighborhood patrol.
- I have been a member at large of the MorningSide Community organization since 2013.
- I was on the 2013 AFT-2000 election committee, and AFT member in two locals.
- Member of the National Action Network.
- Member of Detroit People’s Task Force.
- Member of Detroit DSA.
- Elected to the Wayne State University Student Council in 1999.
I also volunteer for local actions for community improvement including the Motor City Makeover and Angels night.
Devoted to My Community
* Note: MorningSide does not endorse any candidates, and none is implied here.